Object Management Group
Object Management Group BOD Adopts Automated Technical Debt Measure; Members Issue RFP for V2 of UnifiedPOS Specification
Needham, MA – October 16, 2017 – The Object Management Group® (OMG®), an international, open membership, not-for-profit technology standards consortium, finalized new standards, issued RFPs/RFIs for new standards and held a Board of Directors election during its Q3 Technical Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. The OMG Board of Directors voted to adopt the following revised specifications:
- The Automated Technical Debt Measure, drafted by the Consortium for IT Software Quality™, is a measure of software cost, effort, and risk due to code defects remaining at release. Like financial debt, technical debt incurs interest over time in the form of extra effort and cost to maintain the software. It also represents the level of risk exposed to the business due to the increased cost ofownership.
- The DDS™-XML specification consolidates the XML syntax used by various DDS specifications into a single document. This includes the formats used to define QoS, datatypes, and even complete applications. By organizing these various XML formats in a single document, the DDS-XML specification will ease the evolution of these formats, facilitate the mapping to other description languages (e.g. JSON) and facilitate the development of independent third-party tools that depend on these formats.
- The UML Testing Profile™ V2 (UTP™ V2) is a standardized language for designing, visualizing, specifying, analyzing, constructing, and documenting testing artifacts commonly used for testing software-intensive systems. By supporting test definition at the model level, UTP V2 will facilitate coverage and traceability support of OMG models from high-level business models down to software/systems test definition.
Technology Adoption Processes Underway
Members voted to issue detailed requirements for:
- UnifiedPOS V2 Model And POS Printer API RFP solicits proposals for a standard API that exposes key functionality of the POS printer as a remotable and shareable service. Letters of Intent are due on December 31, 2017 and submissions due on February 19, 2018.
- DDS™ Status Monitoring RFP solicits proposals for a data model defining the information required for the operational status monitoring of a DDS platform. Letters of Intent are due on November 6, 2017 and submissions due on May 19, 2018.
- RTPS TCP/IP PSM for DDS Interop RFP seeks to define a standard Platform Specific Model to the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), so DDS applications can interoperate over TCP in a standard manner. Letters of Intent are due on February 19, 2018 and submissions due in June 2018.
- Robotic Service Ontology RFI solicits vocabularies and ontology of robotic services to start activity of standardizing robotic service ontology. The deadline for responses is November 6, 2017.
- Secure Network Communications RFI seeks responses from industry, government or academia with practical knowledge of any technologies relating to software defined communication/ networking and its intersection with modeling, security, high-performance embedded computing and tools. Responses due on February 19, 2018.
Learn more about other OMG technology adoption processes underway at www.omg.org/public_schedule.
Board of Directors Elections
Three new member representatives were elected to the OMG BOD for three-year terms.They are:
- Harsh Sharma, Accenture
- Sumeet Malhotra, Tata Consultancy Services
- Chris Frost, Fujitsu
Seven representatives who have held Board seats were re-elected to the Board of Directors for 3 years:
- Bill Beckwith, Objective Interface Systems
- Mark Crawford, SAP SE
- Angelo Corsaro, PrismTech
- Mark Hayman, Northrop Grumman
- Sridhar Iyengar, IBM
- Robert Lario, Visumpoint
- Pete Rivett, Adaptive
Click here for a complete list of companies and organizations that sit on the OMG Board of Directors.
Next Member Meeting
The next member meeting will be held at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport from December 4-8, 2017, in Burlingame, CA. The early bird registration deadline is Friday, October 20. Exhibit space is also available; contact email@example.com no later than Friday, November 17 to reserve space. Additional sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information, contact the OMG Business Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-781-444-0404. Links to additional information and details about upcoming Special Events open to the public at the meeting can be found at http://www.omg.org/events/ca-17/index.htm.
The Object Management Group® (OMG®) is an international, open membership, not-for-profit technology standards consortium with representation from government, industry and academia. OMG Task Forces develop enterprise integration standards for a wide range of technologies and an even wider range of industries. OMG's modeling standards enable powerful visual design, execution and maintenance of software and other processes. Visit www.omg.org for more information.
Note to editors: For a listing of all OMG trademarks, visit http://www.omg.org/legal/tm_list.htm. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.