FW: Request for permission to make a SysML excerpt available to an OASIS project

FYI, I'm forwarding Ed's message below to the [email protected] mailing list.  Ed, note that a separate PDF of Annex C.5 is already available on the SysML project portal wiki, the third bullet down at http://www.omgwiki.org/OMGSysML/, or directly at http://www.omgwiki.org/OMGSysML/doku.php?id=sysml-qudv:quantities_units_dimensions_values_qudv.  Your request is very welcome in raising visibility of the QUDV approach (including core inputs from NASA JPL and the European Space Agency) in these related efforts, which we are very interested in coordinating with. Because the QUDV project portal page is already public, please feel free to reference it directly from the CUOMOS project at this time.  SysML 1.2 is still in final approval within the OMG process, and so the beta spec hasn't been published yet by OMG, but I think it's very near to the stage when the complete beta specification could be made available.  Once they've actually reached the public stage, additional excerpts could be considered, so long as they're fully linked to the full version from which they're taken.  We could consider a separate excerpt of Annex C.4, but please note that it depends more directly on Chapter 8 Blocks of the SysML 1.2 RTF specification. Please note also that this Annex (a model library of the International System of Units, or SI) doesn't actually use the QUDV conceptual model in Annex C.5.  (Annex C.4 was carried forward with minimal changes from SysML 1.1.)  One of the main reasons for the project portal site is to give a place to begin sharing reusable libraries, built with the QUDV model, to address needs of specific application domains.  An SI library based on QUDV has already been identified as one of the first priorities, and might be a better match to the CUOMOS project than Annex C.4.  If all quantities- and units-related material in SysML is to be considered, to match other publications such as you mention, we could custom-assemble a set of excerpts to cover all the SysML material that depends on each other.   Thanks again for your request.  --Roger   -----Original Message----- From: Ed Barkmeyer [mailto:[email protected]]  Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:19 PM To: Andrew Watson Cc: Burkhart Roger M; Juergen Boldt; Peter P. Yim; Joel Bender; Howard Mason Subject: Request for permission to make a SysML excerpt available to an OASIS project  Dear sir:  A group formed from the Ontolog Forum is organizing itself as an OASIS  TC to develop a standard ontology for Units of Measure.  As a part of  the formational effort, we have gathered a number of well-defined models  of quantities and units of measure that will serve as base documents for  the ontology project.  The QUDV Annex to SysML v1.2 is such a  well-defined model.   Herewith we request permission to extract Annex C.4 and C.5 of SysML  v1.2 verbatim (23 pages, as a PDF document), and provide that excerpt on  the developers' website for the (tentatively named) CUOMOS project.  The  extract will be identified as an excerpt from the OMG publication, with  reference to the OMG website, and the pages will retain their footings,  showing the OMG publication of origin.  This document will thus appear  alongside four other publications that deal solely with quantities and  units of measure, including the NASA QUDT ontology and a similar extract  from the NASA SWEET ontology.  The CUOMOS ontology, when published, will  appear in OWL and CLIF as normative forms, and in UML as an expository  form, thus differing in normative form, if not significantly in content,  from the OMG publication.  The objective of the base document set is to  maximize the alignment of the CUOMOS ontology with existing work in the  area, all of which ultimately traces to the ISO/BIPM publications in the  area.  If there are other conditions OMG wishes to attach, or you require  further information, we will be happy to comply.  Thank you for your consideration.  Sincerely,  -Edward J. Barkmeyer (NIST) Acting co-Chair, CUOMOS project (in formation)  --  Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: [email protected] National Institute of Standards & Technology Manufacturing Systems Integration Division 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263                Tel: +1 301-975-3528 Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694