OMG Certified Systems Modeling Professional™ (OCSMP™)
Each OCSMP Examination covers specific sections of the language and (methodology-independent) modeling techniques and practices. These Coverage Map pages list, for each exam, the language sections and other topics covered, plus a list of suggested references:
Additional materials or training courses will be listed upon approval. To request a listing, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The special logo futured above identifies training courses and study materials written by the same experts who wrote the OCSMP exams.
SysML for Systems Engineering
Releasing December 2013, this new edition of the popular SysML for Systems Engineering text has been fully updated to reflect SysML 1.3, the latest version of the standard, and the discussion has been extended to show the power of SysML as a tool for systems engineering in an MBSE context. Beginning with a thorough introduction to the concepts behind MBSE, and the theoretical aspects and syntax of SysML, the book then describes how to implement SysML and MBSE in an organization, and how to model real projects effectively and efficiently, illustrated using an extensive case study. This is an essential introduction to the implementation of MBSE using SysML for research-based and practising systems engineers, managers and students, systems architects, project managers, software engineers, process engineers, and enterprise architects.
A Practical Guide to SysML: The Systems Modeling Language (The MK/OMG Press)
Sanford Friedenthal, Alan Moore, Rick Steiner
A general purpose graphical modeling language used to specify, analyze, and design systems that may include hardware, software, and personnel, SysML is now being adopted by companies across a broad range of industries, including aerospace and defense, automotive, and IT system developers. This book is the bestselling, authoritative guide to SysML for systems and software engineers, providing a comprehensive and practical resource for modeling systems with SysML. Fully updated to cover newly released version 1.3, it includes a full description of the modeling language along with a quick reference guide, and shows how an organization or project can transition to model-based systems engineering using SysML, with considerations for processes, methods, tools, and training. Numerous examples to help readers understand how SysML can be used in practice, while reference material facilitates studying for the OMG Systems Modeling Professional (OCSMP) Certification Program, designed to test candidates' knowledge of SysML and their ability to use models to represent real-world systems.
Morgan Kaufmann & OMG Press offers a 40% discount on these books! Use special code 98834 at check out.
Systems Engineering with SysML/UML: Modeling, Analysis, Design (The MK/OMG Press)
UML, the Universal Modeling Language, was the first programming language designed to fulfill the requirement for "universality." However, it is a software-specific language, and does not support the needs of engineers designing from the broader systems-based perspective. Therefore, SysML was created. It has been steadily gaining popularity, and many companies, especially in the heavily-regulated Defense, Automotive, Aerospace, Medical Device and Telecomms industries, are already using SysML, or are plannning to switch over to it in the near future.
However, little information is currently available on the market regarding SysML. Its use is just on the crest of becoming a widespread phenomenon, and so thousands of software engineers are now beginning to look for training and resources. This book will serve as the one-stop, definitive guide that provide an introduction to SysML, and instruction on how to implement it, for all these new users.
Morgan Kaufmann & OMG Press offers a 40% discount on these books!
Use special code 98834 at check out.
SysML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Systems Modeling Language (Addison-Wesley Professional)
Drawing on his pioneering experience at Lockheed Martin and NASA, Lenny Delligatti illuminates SysML’s core components and provides practical advice to help you create good models and good designs. Delligatti begins with an easy-to-understand overview of Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and an explanation of how SysML enables effective system specification, analysis, design, optimization, verification, and validation. Next, he shows how to use all nine types of SysML diagrams, even if you have no previous experience with modeling languages. A case study running through the text demonstrates the use of SysML in modeling a complex, real-world sociotechnical system.
Modeled after Martin Fowler’s classic UML Distilled, Delligatti’s indispensable guide quickly teaches you what you need to know to get started and helps you deepen your knowledge incrementally as the need arises. Like SysML itself, the book is method independent and is designed to support whatever processes, procedures, and tools you already use.
Save 20% - Use code: Delligatti35 during checkout.
Presentations (Downloadable Free):
Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) with the Systems Modeling Language (SysML)
Joe Wolfrom – Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU/APL)
An introductory course in SysML that provides an overview of the basic concepts and constructs of the language. Sections include a Course Overview, a SysML Overview, a section on each of the nine SysML diagram types, and a section on Allocation. This course was developed as a JHU/APL internal training course, and is based primarily on the material found in the book , “A Practical Guide to SysML”, referenced above. The zip file of course material contains 14 PDF files of slides.
Delligatti Associates, LLC
Based in Houston, Texas; services delivered internationally
Delligatti Associates delivers organizational transformation, enabling companies to execute their engineering activities more effectively by adopting a model-based engineering (MBE) approach. MBE promises a higher-quality product at a reduced cost compared to traditional document-based engineering approaches. Delligatti Associates provides customized training in modeling languages, modeling methods, and modeling tools to help companies effectively navigate the sea change from traditional engineering approaches to MBE. We provide also the follow-on support that companies need to plan and execute a model-based engineering project to meet their customers’ specific needs, goals, and objectives.
OCSMP Accelerator™ SysML certification training course (5 days)
- Prepare students for the OMG Certified Systems Modeling Professional (OCSMP) Model User (Level 1) certification exam
- Prepare students for the OMG Certified Systems Modeling Professional (OCSMP) Model Builder: Fundamental (Level 2) certification exam
- 40 hours (8 hours per day for 5 consecutive days)
- Course textbook: SysML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Systems Modeling Language (Addison-Wesley 2013). A copy of this book will be provided to each student on the first day. The cost of this textbook is included in the course fee.
- PowerPoint presentation containing all figures from the course textbook
- SysML model of the example system from the course textbook. This model will be provided to students electronically in both the MagicDraw native file format and XMI file format.
- Sample certification exam questions on each of the ten course topics
- 30-question end-of-course sample test. This test will be delivered to all students on the last day of the course under simulated testing conditions.
- “SysML Training Resources” guide with links to additional learning resources on the internet
- Course completion certificate. This certificate is valid documentation to claim Professional Development Unit (PDU) points for the INCOSE Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) recertification requirement.
Systems Modeling Language (SysML) Training
A Quick Start to Model-Based Engineering & Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBE/MBSE) Contacts: Russell Peak, PhD; Manas Bajaj, PhD
Voice: +1-404-894-7572; +1-404-592-6897, ext 101
Georgia Tech and InterCAX jointly offer a SysML quick start training program for professionals wanting to learn the latest about model-based engineering (MBE) in general and model-based systems engineering in particular (MBSE). This program covers the OMG Certified Systems Modeling Professional (OCSMP) certification. The course instructors have conducted SysML courses for multiple organizations (e.g., training over 130 professionals since August 2008), have been involved in the development of OMG SysML from the beginning, and have contributed to the development of OCSMP.
Testimonials from previous participants:
- “I thoroughly enjoyed the course.” — Senior Systems Engineer (Ft Worth, Texas).
- “Very informative.” — Test Engineer (Pasadena, California).
- “Fun class – I especially liked the hands-on exercises and [the rover] project” — Lead Systems Engineer (Pasadena, California).
The following courses focus on OCSMP Levels 1 & 2 and include other items essential for a well-rounded MBE/MBSE practitioner:
- SysML 101 (1 day) covers the essentials of object-oriented modeling using SysML and all 9 types of SysML diagrams in a quick and easy-to-learn format. A consistent system modeling example is presented throughout the course for participants to learn how SysML concepts and diagrams work together. The concepts are presented in a tool-independent manner.
- SysML 102 (2.5 days) is a hands-on course where participants learn to implement SysML concepts using a representative tool. These skills are reinforced by doing useful things with the resulting SysML models—not just building them for the sake of documentation. For example, exercises include (i) employing SysML parametrics to perform calculations on system properties and verify requirements, and (ii) utilizing SysML activities to operate a mobile robot during a team-based competition. Participants work through structured tutorial modules in class to jumpstart and expand their SysML model creation know-how.
These courses are offered live in onsite, offsite, and web-based modes. Click here for details.
Instructors:-Leon McGinnis, PhD
-Chris Paredis, PhD
-Russell Peak, PhD
Georgia Institute of Technology
oose Innovative Informatik eG
Contact: Luba Glage
Phone: +49 (40) 414250-0
Systems Engineering with SysML (4 days)
Do you need to be familiar with SysML and its use to describe a system? Do you need to be able to compile an interdisciplinary specification for the requirements and design of a system, and develop a consistent understanding of the system among team members? This compact, practice-oriented, 4-day course will introduce you to the methodological foundations of Model-Based Systems Engineering with SysML/UML.
The basis for this is the OMG Systems Modeling Language (OMG SysML), a standardized language and notation for the specification and visualization of requirement and design models based on the Unified Modeling Language (UML).
The seminar includes hands-on worked exercises and is very practice-oriented. A thorough, practical example is used to teach you a systematic procedure and tested, practical methodology for applying SysML in systems analysis and design.
After completing this course, you will be able to implement these techniques in practice, from general project communication to the creation of a requirements and system specification.
Our standard training is in the German language. By special arrangement, we can present the course in English.
OMG Certified Systems Modeling Professional (OCSMP) (1 day)
This seminar covers the fundamentals of model-based systems engineering with SysML. It covers all topics of the basic level of the OMG-Certified Systems Modeling Professional certification program.
The presentation assumes some prior knowledge and skills in SysML. It is a perfect supplement to the 4 day course, Systems Engineering with SysML.
Our standard training is in the German language. By special arrangement, we can present the course in English.
Mithun Training & Consulting is a small organization dedicated to the betterment of engineering practices worldwide. We specialize in the beginning of the product development life cycle. We work with engineers, analysts and product managers. We create tailored requirements engineering processes, train professionals with best practices, and consult with businesses to mature their development life cycles.
Our goal is to help professionals make products people want, much more efficiently. It's as simple as that!