Why join OMG?
Standards are most successful when they are invisible. Doorways have standard sizes, power outlets have standard shapes and voltage, and your external keyboard and computer mouse connect via a standard USB plug. But you never have to think about a standard making those things possible. OMG drives standards related to software and system modeling and software middleware and helps define the semantics of markets, also known as ontologies.
You may have heard of some of our most popular standards like UML, SysML, BPMN and DDS, and in this case we are proud that the children have surpassed their parents and these standards have their own brand presence that does not always include OMG.
Standards propel market growth
- Standards help give equity to the marketplace and encourage vendors to work together
- Instead of vying with your competitors for the same customers, make the market larger
- Create more potential customers
Free up engineering resources to solve new problems
- A standard frees up engineering resources to solve new problems instead of re-solving old problems
- Adoption of standards enables companies to spend more time innovating and less time re-engineering
Customers want standards
- Customers feel more comfortable when they are not facing a lock-in
- Gain customer loyalty through innovative products, not proprietary lock-in