UML Profile for System on a Chip
This specification defines a UML 2 profile for SoC (System on a Chip) design. The advantages of using this profile are listed below.
- This profile adds the SoC description capability to UML. This profile provides the following representation capabilities:
- Hierarchical representation of modules and channels, which are the fundamental elements of SoC.
- Roles of modules.
- Information transferred between modules using only one type of diagram.
- Most diagrams used for SoC are internal structure diagrams extended by the profile.
- Without the profile they had to be represented by description of class constructor function using sequence diagrams. This representation method lacks capability enough to explicitly show a module's role, which is fundamental information to analyze SoC.